Monday, 28 November 2011

Just Finished: Smudge's Mark by Claudia Osmond


Isn't that a great cover? The key is obviously very important. I bet you want to know what's so important about it, don't you? I'm not going to tell! You'll have to read the book yourself to find out.

I don't read a lot of MG (middle grade) novels. If I read below my age level (not telling), it's either a young adult novel or I'm reading a story to my kids (see my post "My Top Five Books for Kids"). But when I do pick up a MG novel I find the trick to really, really, really enjoy it is to go inside and find that eleven, twelve, thirteen-year old version of yourself and let them read the book for you. Apparently my twelve-year old counterpart has a crush on a boy named Smudge (Simon Mugford).

Smudge has all the key ingredients necessary for my crush:
1. Shy with a mysterious past - always a great combination
2. Loyal
3. Courageous
4. Adventurous!
5. Older (than my twelve-year old self, not my real age self - still not telling!)

My younger self was easily caught up in Smudge's adventures; from being sent to a horrible boarding school by his grandfather's nasty housekeeper, Griselda, to discovering a portal to another world. Each adventure leads him closer to discovering the truth about who he is, what happened to his parents and what the key has to do with it all!

Good buy for an actual middle grader or the one you keep inside :)

Click here for more about the book and author.