Saturday, 7 April 2012

Just Finished: The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe



I probably shouldn't have read The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe while I was sick. Bad idea. This book is about a virus and people dying. Lots of people dying. If you haven't washed your hands in the last hour, I give you leave to go do so now. My blog can wait. Your health can't.

Okay, welcome back. Let's talk about this book. It's a good one. Written in first person through the protagonist's (Kaelyn) journal, the story unfolds steadily; little bits of tension that keep building. Kaelyn lives on an island which just adds more tension. I was very tense reading this book. Everyone is trapped. There is nowhere to go when the virus spreads and the government shuts the island down and quarantines everyone.

Books like this give me the creeps. It's not just the virus that is creepy, it's the way society unravels. There are people that want to help and do the right thing but then there are those that take on a "survival of the fittest" mentality. Those people give me the creeps. Maybe because I can easily see myself become one of those people, especially when it means protecting my kids. They make me face my own selfish nature and I never like what I see. I see myself in the good people too, so that gives me some comfort :)

So, I definitely recommend this one. Glad it's going to be a trilogy! And I'm glad the author reminded me of the most important thing: