desire

 




What is my deepest desire?

The obvious answer is to know and be known
Yet I know I am known, and I know what I know
What I know will grow as well as the I that I know

Perhaps it’s to rest and just let it all be
Yet the rest that I want is a rest I don’t need
For my restlessness drives the yearning in me

So, what is my deepest desire?

To be found and not lost; to wander to find
To be free and untethered; be bound and intwined
To know and be sure; be curious and wonder
To stay and walk slow; to go and run faster
To trust in the wind; be anchored deep
To sail the uncharted; have a map guide my feet
Calm and at peace; burning with passion and fire
To be alive in the middle is my deepest desire

A part of the body; individually unique

Feasting at the table; fasting what I eat

Embracing community; silence and solitude

Child of a King; sacrificial servitude

Intimate with my spouse; connected to all

Winter to Spring; Summer to Fall

Crashing on shore; in the depths to retire

To be caught in the rhythm is my deepest desire 


To dance on a tightrope from which I can never fall

But the height pounds my heart and the dance takes my all

To be spent and poured out as a I lay down to sleep

But smile and sigh because the work was so sweet

Longing for heaven; planted on earth

Walking on water; hands in the dirt

Now and not yet; soaring and tired

To be in the flow of His grace is my deepest desire


©2023 Jordan Hageman














Popular Posts